Twice Baked Laverbread Soufflés
Veg HT HD Welsh 55mins plus
These soufflés are
an excellent choice for dinner parties as they can be prepared and
partially cooked up to 3 days before needed. You can substitute cooked Spinach
for the laverbread if you prefer.
Serves 4 Hot Vegetarian Vegetables
Herbs Spices Starter Hors D'oeuvre Wales British
Butter for greasing
60ml/2floz Double Cream
1 Bay Leaf
¼ of a small Onion
1 Garlic Clove, lightly smashed
Freshly Grated Nutmeg
Salt and pepper
½ teasp Mustard
100g/4oz Cheese e.g. Llangloffan, Cheddar, grated
3 Eggs, separated
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas mark 4, and butter 4 ramekins.
2. Place the milk, cream, bay leaf, onion, garlic and nutmeg in a saucepan,
bring to simmering point then remove from the heat, cover and set aside to cool.
Once the milk is cooled, strain into a jug and discard the seasonings.
3. Melt the butter in a medium
saucepan then add the flour and cook for one minute stirring.
4. Gradually add the cooled milk
to the pan stirring constantly and continue to cook over a medium heat for about
2 minutes until thickened.
5. Remove the pan from the heat then add the cheese, mustard, salt and pepper
and stir until melted into the sauce.
6. Allow the mixture to cool a
little then add the egg yolks and beat until well incorporated.
7. Whisk the egg whites in a
large mixing bowl to form soft peaks, then gently fold half of the egg whites
into the sauce. Pour the sauce onto the remaining egg whites and fold in
8. Divide the mixture between the
buttered ramekins, spoon in a little laverbread into the centre of each and
place in a roasting tin. Pour about 2.5cm/1 inch of boiling water into the tin
and bake for approximately 15 minutes until set but not risen.
9. Remove from the oven and allow
to cool. Once cold, you can store them in the refrigerator for
up to 3 days.
10. To finish cooking, preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6 and
lightly grease a baking sheet with butter.
11. Turn out the soufflés out
onto the greased baking sheet, using a small knife to loosen the edges and bake
for 20 minutes until puffed and golden. Serve immediately.