4 Hot Vegetarian
Vegetables Herbs Hors d'oeuvre Appetizer Starter
For the Carrot Domes
200g/7oz Carrot, grated
100g/4oz Potato, peeled and cubed
50g/2oz Gruyere Cheese, grated
2 small Eggs, beaten
12 Baby Carrots, scraped
4 Sprigs of Basil
For the Tomato Coulis
50g/2oz Onion, finely chopped
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
1 x 400g/14oz Chopped Tomatoes
1 tbsp Tomato Purée
6 Basil Leaves
120ml/4 fl.oz. Vegetable Stock
Salt and Pepper
1. Make the tomato coulis by gently frying the onion and
garlic in 25g/1oz of the butter until soft and transparent. Add the
tomatoes, tomato purée, basil and stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for 15 minutes or until tender.
Drain and mash to a very smooth consistency.
3. Meanwhile, melt half the butter in a saucepan and gently fry the
carrot for about 4 minutes.
4. In a bowl, mix together the carrot, potato, Gruyere and egg.
Season with salt and pepper.
5. Dust 4 small ramekins with flour and fill each with the carrot
mixture. Cover with clingfilm and steam for approximately 20
6. Meanwhile, boil the baby carrots in salted water for 10 minutes
or until just tender.
7. Whilst the carrots are cooking, pass the tomato mixture through a
sieve then return to the pan and reduce slightly by boiling rapidly.
8. To serve - unmould the carrot domes onto individual plates,
surround with the tomato coulis and garnish with the baby carrots
and basil leaves.
End of instructions