Edam Bean Burgers with Tomato Relish
Veg HT MC 25mins plus chilling
Hot Vegetarian Vegetables
Beans Pulses Nuts Herbs Main Course
by chef Lesley Waters, you can make these as large or as small as you
like. Serve on Focaccia or Ciabatta bread with your favourite salad leaves and
zingy tomato relish.
100g/3 ˝ oz Edam cheese cut into very small cubes
55g/2oz pine nuts, toasted
2 x 300g/11oz cans cannellini beans,
drained and rinsed
5 spring onions, chopped
30ml/2tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
75g/2 3/4 oz fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
sunflower oil for frying
For the tomato relish:
4 ripe tomatoes, diced
1 red Capsicum (sweet pepper), de-seeded and diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped (25g packet)
1tbsp olive oil
˝ lemon, juice only
1. Place a frying pan over a medium heat and lightly toast the pine nuts for 2-3
minutes or until golden. Remove from pan and set to one side.
2. Place the beans in a large bowl and mash well with a potato masher or fork.
Add the Edam, pine nuts, onion, tomato paste and a third of the breadcrumbs.
Season and gently mix together until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
3. Shape the mixture into 8 burgers. Coat the outside of each burger first with
the beaten egg, then with the remaining breadcrumbs. Cover and chill in the
fridge for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, mix all the tomato relish ingredients together, season well and
set to one side.
5. Heat 1cm/ ˝-inch sunflower oil in a large non-stick frying pan and add the
burgers. Fry for 3-4 minutes each side until golden and heated through, drain on
6. Serve with favourite salad leaves and tomato relish in summer, or new
potatoes and green beans in winter.
• You can use borlotti beans or chickpeas in this recipe.
• If you want to cook the burgers in the oven, simply pre-heat to 190C, 375F,
Gas 5. Place the burgers on an oiled baking sheet sprayed spray with a little
oil. Cook for 20 minutes or until golden and heated through.
• If you fancy a relish with a little kick! Add a few drops of Tabasco depending
on the heat you like.
Vegetarian Recipes | What's
in Season |