Mushroom Leek and Chestnut Tarts
Serves 4 Hot Vegetarian Vegetables Grains Nuts
Herbs Main Course Eggless
225g/8oz Puff Pastry
50g/2oz Wild Rice
1 tbsp Olive Oil
375g/12 oz Leeks, finely shredded
100g/4oz Mushrooms, sliced
200g/7oz Cooked Peeled Chestnuts, chopped
1 tbsp freshly chopped Sage
Salt and Black Pepper
1-2 tbsp Soy Sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6. Place the rice in a saucepan of
boiling water and cook according to the instructions on the packet. This can be
anything from 20 to 40 minutes depending on the type of wild rice you have
2. Meanwhile, on a lightly floured work surface, roll the pastry out and use to
line four individual 10cm/4-inch loose bottomed flan tins.
3. Prick the base all over with a fork then bake blind for 15 minutes until the
pastry is golden brown and risen.
4. Whilst the pastry is cooking, heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan
and gently fry the leeks for about 5 minutes until softened.
5. Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté for a further 5 minutes.
6. Drain the rice well then add to the mushroom mixture together with the
chestnuts, sage, Soy sauce, salt and pepper, mix well and cook for a
further 2-3 minutes.
7. Spoon the filling into the pastry cases and serve immediately.
Excellent as a vegetarian alternative at Christmas
Vegetarian Recipes | What's
in Season |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.