How to Make Vol au Vent
Other Food & Culinary Related Videos
||This video shows you how
to make cocktail (Bouchées) vol au vent cases using puff pastry in easy step by
step instructions. Great to serve with drinks or at parties and
especially useful at Christmas and New Year when stores may run out
of ready made vol au vent.
For lots of filling recipes and ideas,
see our vol au vent page.
A Recipes4us.co.uk Production
Home Made Vol Au Vent Cases
Prep & Cooking time: 25mins
Makes 12 - 16 x 5cm/2" Bouchées (Cocktail vol au
450g/1lb Puff Pastry (ready made or home made)
Flour for dusting
Milk or beaten egg for glazing
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6. On a floured work surface,
roll the pastry out out to a minimum 6mm/¼" but no thicker than 1cm/½" .
2. Cut into the required shapes, round using a biscuit cutter, square or
other shape using a sharp knife, no larger than 5cm/2" in diameter .
3. Score a smaller shape into the top of the cut pastry with the tip of a
small sharp knife, without cutting all the way through and leaving a 6mm/¼ "
4. Place on a baking tray, glaze with milk or beaten egg and bake for 10 - 15
minutes, keeping a careful eye on them so they don't burn, until well risen,
puffy and golden brown.
5. Remove from the oven then run the tip of a sharp knife around the scored
middle sections and remove the top which can be used as a lid when serving.
6. Carefully scoop out any soft pastry in the middle of the bases then cool on a
wire rack before filling.